Friday, December 31, 2010

Known

December 31 – Core Story
What central story is at the core of you, and how do you share it with the world? (Bonus: Consider your reflections from this month. Look through them to discover a thread you may not have noticed until today.) (Author: Molly O’Neill)


This trip to NYC - yes it started in 2010 but now is well into the first week of the new year- has turned into old friend week.

I haven't been to NY in over 4 years, but, I have been trying to do a better job of keeping in touch long distance. Some of my friends, however, haven't been able to make it to where I was either... so a chance to be around old friends is a treasure.

Don't get me wrong, new friends are great, too, but old friends are a special breed, and they are at the core of my being at present. Since what I am trying to embrace is the sense that I am known, just being in the presence of old friends is healing.

Aside from the three friends I came to visit explicitly -- two of them I hadn't seen in the four years, I have had a week full of reunions.

Monday, I saw a friend I haven't seen in over 15 years. And as she said, it was as if no time had passed.

Tuesday, I got to spend a lovely afternoon and evening with one of my all time favorite families. As well as getting the chance to visit old haunts - which was wildly surreal.

Wednesday, a sweet evening with an old friend on his turf for a change.

Thursday (tomorrow) another catch up with someone I haven't seen in probably 20 years.

Starting Friday evening with another friend I have not seen in a long while.

All of this time spent with people who get me, just as I am. It is the essence of being known.

It is like living inside a warm hug.
I had too many bags to also carry my camera, but here is one shot someone took of us at a NYE party... the rest of the pics will have to just live in my memory.

Location:Aiken Ave,Princeton,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment