Wednesday, December 01, 2010

ECC part 1


I know her name and her birth date. I peeked at the little bracelet that fell off my two day old niece's wrist.

I know the general geographic area where she's from.

I know she doesn't speak English or Spanish very well. I know her language is something else.

We think we know what it is, but like so much of this story, nothing is certain.

I guess we are pretty much still in the fog of the unexpected. On the one hand overjoyed at the new little bundle. On the other hand holding our collective breath that no other surprises await them or us.

I can't help but think down the road.

They were in the same room with the birth mother.

I would have asked her to just speak into the recorder in her own language. Just tell her daughter something, anything. What do you want her to know? That easy, that open-ended.

So one day when the little one is ready she will know the tremendous act of love that was on both sides of this event.

We will have unending love for her. Already she owns each of our hearts. I am sure I am not the only one who has cried for her birth mother too.

There are lots of other parenting hurdles for my brother and sister-in-law just around every corner, but for now there is a haze of disbelief and the little one's pressing needs.

There will be time for all the rest.

[Sorry the pic is so small, swiped it from my bro's fb ... and he keeps taking them with his phone.]

No comments:

Post a Comment