Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Got Community?

December 7 – Community Prompt: Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Author: Cali Harris)

I am excited and scared to write about community. The first thought that pops into my mind is that this year has been about the failed attempts at community for me.

Of course that isn't really true.

But it has been a year of learning about the pitfalls of expectation and planning. Not unlike Disney's planned community of Celebration, many of my planned communities turned out to be exercises in what should be not what really is.

Letting go ... that earlier posting, I had to stop myself from putting in all the things I couldn't let go. Planning was one of those things.

So, planning community didn't work out so well, but it helped me to be more appreciative of the community I do have. It also made me take a step back from planning.

Some of the best communities I happened into... no plans, just happy coincidences. Sometimes, throwing caution to the wind. Trusting in the universe, particularly when it puts people in front of me.

There's the life coach looking for willing participants who just so happens to be able to connect me to various meditation communities. A sweet person who wants to engage in intelligent conversation over a drink.

Of course, there are the cadre of sbucks people who are my fellow regulars and the folks who work there. I might even become a regular at my favorite happy hour bar. Not only do I frequently meet interesting, open people there, the bartenders remember me and know what I want. It's not at all the hole in the wall kind of dive bar where you would expect to meet people... but there you have it.

Without a plan, it is community.

Then there are the online community members ... bloggers, fb friends, long lost old buddies and people I have never met before.

One community in particular, that I joined this year online, has taught me so much, even as it has brought me tears.

Community, it turns out, is every where. No need to plan and strive and feel beaten down... they will almost come to you.

For 2011, no planning, just letting community happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment