Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Social Networking Addendum

After writing the last post, I decided to deactivate my fb account.

There are a lot of reasons beyond the way my stomach turned during the movie.

But, the long and the short of it is that fb is a band-aid and a denial for me.

It is a substitute for making real contact with people, and a place to hide, and worst of all, a place to indulge insecurities. So from now on, it means writing here or in my journal or reaching out to real people instead of wasting time on fb.
I recognize that there are fun and useful functions associated with fb.

I realized after I deactivated and sent out emails to those who are really my friends to let them know they wouldn't be able to find me there, that there are a lot of people who I have connected with over fb that I don't have emails for... It gave me pause, but then I also realized that if I wanted to be in touch with them, or they with me, that there would be a way.Truthfully, I can say I feel disconnected, like the 3rd of 5 from The Borg... suddenly the world has gone silent.

It's feels lonely...but it forces me to deal with the fact that lonely is how I feel with or without fb.
This is not to say that there might be some time when I can figure out how to interact with fb in a more healthy way... but, on the other hand, maybe I will just figure out how to be in better touch with my friends... and meet some new ones in the real world.

Turns out I had some pictures on my camera ... these are some of the sunset from my back step
Did I mention that we have spectacular skies in NM?

No comments:

Post a Comment