Friday, February 04, 2011

birthday week

I learned two things this week...

1) a dream deferred is not necessarily the worst thing, as long as the deferment is more of a rescheduling,

and

2) sometimes you just have to treat yourself to the best birthday present ever.

This year, I had planned to give myself a three treatment afternoon at my new favorite spa, ten thousand waves, in Santa Fe. But weather kept interfering.

To be completely truthful, one of the reasons that I was planning on taking myself to the spa was in order to avoid having to figure out how and whether to include my friends in a birthday celebration. Unless there is someone coming forward to plan the best birthday ever, I would rather just plan something that only involves me. In this way, I get to do what I want to do, when I want to do it, without having to worry about anyone else's disappointment or enjoyment.

I don't know if I am getting across the issue ... but, in any case, that is how it feels to me. When others plan for you, it is just sweet whether or not it turns out to be the best birthday ever. When you plan for yourself and invite others, it is just pressure all the way around, for me.

So, the day was changed but it made it possible to stay overnight in a room that was too expensive, yet just right. Heat from the floor... tv with cable, but the best part: the starry lights in the ceiling. Goldilocks would have totally approved.

In fact, every little thing was just right. I was nervous about getting in a hot tub when it is only 15 degrees outside. But it turns out to be the absolute best way for me to enjoy a hot tub. Seriously, the best time in a hot tub ever.

Then, I had the best massage of my life. And I think I fell in love with my masseur. And it wasn't just his hands... though those strong, intuitive hands were amazing.

Best birthday gift ever. I just won't look when the bill comes... it was worth it!

I wish I had brought my camera ... but instead, I am staying until check out and loving the alone time.

No comments:

Post a Comment