Friday, February 25, 2011

Oscar Ready?

I don't think there is any real chance that I am going to get to see the 10 movies nominated for Best Picture by the awarding of the Oscars.

Truth be told, there are some that I have no interest in seeing, for instance, Toy Story #? (read that ? as who cares). I apologize to all of you who enjoy that franchise ... and that is what it is. I seriously think they make those movies just so that they can market products. In fact, I know someone whose job it is to market food items to children for that company, so, it is, at least, partially true. I finally saw TS#1 with my nephew over break. He had his tonsils out, so he was in need of a lot of video game and movie watching ... and boy did he take advantage of that fact. Back to the movie, it was alright, but it starred, vocally, two of my least favorite actors of all time ... and that doesn't make me want to run out and see any of the sequels. In fact, I am not super into sequels, prequels or straight to video continuations...

But, I digress.

Of the movies nominated this year, I would really still like to see True Grit, The Fighter, and Winter's Bone.

I have a moderate interest in The King's Speech and 127 Hours.

I have absolutely no interest in TS#? as previously stated.

I have already seen Black Swan, The Kids Are Alright, The Social Network , and Inception. If there were only five, I would almost be there...

I understand why The Social Network was a hit; and my unofficial bet is placed on it as the winner. (See what it provoked here.)

I felt like The Kids Are Alright was a glorified TV movie. Not that I didn't like it; it was just more appropriate for the small screen. And I thought Ruffalo was the best thing in that movie followed closely by Moore's performance.

I dislike action movies and even less when I am watching them at home ...I just ignore all of the "action" as it is generally gratuitous. I imagine that when the Academy nominated Inception, they believed they were choosing an action genre movie that had a story. I beg to disagree. What little story I found there was so engulfed by the action that I can honestly say that I am still trying to figure out what that story was... but how do I really feel? Yeah... you guessed it.

I can say that I really enjoyed Black Swan. The folks that saw this movie with me were so jarred at the end that they needed comfort food to regain their balance. I just enjoyed it ... I love that a movie about a ballerina and her crazy could make you sit at the edge of your seat. GENIUS. I think they will give Portman the award in order to make it seem like they liked the movie, but I will be surprised if it wins Best Picture. However, it is the hands-down best movie in the line up that I have seen so far. Granted there are six (really only 5) others that might well have displaced it from the top spot in my heart and mind, but just going on those I have seen, I would vote for it. Not just for Portman, because she was good, but for the movie because it was the story and the directing that really made that movie GENIUS.

Perhaps the others will hit video or the dollar theater soon and I can partake of viewing them as well.

At this point, I am not even sure that I will have time to watch the awards. And, I already have award show fatigue after just watching the Golden Globes...and I made good use of the remote during that show. I guess I just don't have it in me to care about award shows anymore. Or I just have too much to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment