Friday, September 30, 2011

I heart commercials

I know in the era of DVR and online downloads, we viewers have options for avoiding commercials, but I don't like to.   I don't pause them, I don't try to game my way out of them... and, yes, sometimes I watch them!!  Ok, I listen to them mostly since I don't really "watch" anything on TV.

You already know this because I was gushing over Mayhem the other day.

But I was watching some shows on h*l* this week and found myself actually watching the commercials, and I realized I really like them.

I don't LOVE all commercials.  There are any number of really awful commercials that play over and over and you think: WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?  You know, those commercials that make you cringe or want to throw things at the set or the computer (don't do it, it's not worth it!)?  Well, those are not the ones I love... though sometimes one of those will be a guilty pleasure. The fact is sometimes I just like thinking through what the advertisers were thinking.  I enjoy puzzling about who they think watches a particular show or another... the online commercials are frequently the kind you get the SAME ONE over and over and over... and that is annoying and probably wildly ineffective.

But those are the breaks.

I still like commercials ... and breaks are one of the reasons I like them.  I am not generally a channel turner just because there is a commercial.  I like to use the break times to run to the bathroom or kitchen or to change tasks... they remind me that time is passing by and I need to get on doing whatever needs to get done.

See? USEFUL.

The fact that I hardly ever remember what a commercial I like is for is unfortunate (for the company advertising), but it doesn't make me lose sleep.

These are the commercials I really like right now... they are realistic enough and hopeful

... hope is a wonderful drug in itself! They are public service announcements (PSAs). 

I truly heart PSAs...especially the really well made ones.

Well made PSAs are wonderful...

OH... there are commercials I hate ... and those are the election season spots. HATE THEM.  I find nothing redeeming about them at all ... even the ones for the candidates I intend to support.  Attack ads are, of course, the absolute worst.

Gotta get back to work, so your commercial break is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment