Monday, September 12, 2011

Reflecting

I spent a good part of the last four days avoiding all the reporting of the 9/11 10th anniversary/commemoration (?).

I just couldn't do it.

I heard one piece, a lovely interview with one of the mom's from the Flight 93 Let's Roll group. It was sweet, but I couldn't stop crying.

So, I decided that I didn't need to remember right now.

Maybe, ever.

Then, I awoke on Sunday morning eager to listen to my favorite political shows and a little NPR, but they were not having regular shows.

They were playing live the events from the Pentagon and Ground Zero (I can't believe we gave it a name that requires capitalization).

I listened for a little bit; I didn't cry. I thought of the Aldermans, and wondered where they were. I hoped they were in Haiti helping people rather than in NY crying. [Learn more about the Aldermans -- LOVE personified.]

Then I decided that I needed to commemorate in a different way: with gratitude rather than sorrow.

I was thankful that the two people I knew working in the towers had left for work late that day. One got as far as the stop right before the wtc and was told to get out because the first plane had already hit. I will never be more thankful than for that. The virtues of not always being on time.

I was thankful that my friend did not change her flight from Monday morning to Tuesday morning even though I really did want that one more day with her.

I was thankful that seeing the horrible destruction of life shook me from complacency. I tell anyone if they ask ... It was 9/11 that rescued me from a terrible marriage. I looked around me on 9/12 and realized that it could all be gone in a second. Was this really the way I wanted to be living? Nope... and a few short months later, I was plotting my escape.

Sometimes, we can make lemonade. I am ever so thankful I realized that... I hope you can think of positive impacts from destructive events.

Photo credits: me, fancy camera, one rainy morning in August, outside my apartment, from the porch

No comments:

Post a Comment