Wednesday, September 14, 2011

my commute, part 2

I still haven't been able to remember to take my camera with me on my commute.  I will try to recreate in words what I saw this morning.

As I drove west, away from where the sun would be rising, the sky was undulating with pink clouds.  All around in the distance, I could see dark spots, and then light shining on some patch of land.  It looked like someone had set up spotlights on certain mesas.  And, the pink clouds seemed like what the aurora borealis would look like.  The pink shimmered, almost as if it could move, sway with that New Mexico wind.

Those clouds framed the entire western landscape.  And then I saw the hint of a rainbow on the left (southern) edge of the mesa.  As I kept driving west, the rainbow grew and stretched from the top of the pink clouds to the horizon.  It was just gorgeous.

About this time, that big orange ball was emerging from the mountains to my back (in the east).  It seemed extra fiery against the dark sky in the east and the pink sky in the west.

Eventually I drove past the pink sky into darkness and clouds heavy with rain.  I think I was chasing the rain, though, because I would get short bursts and then nothing.  Eventually, the sky lightened up, but it was odd to have left the bright pink sky and the orange fire ball for this dark patch of land. 

Just as I was pondering this, I noticed once majestic mesa under a natural spotlight.  The orange, brown and red shining against the green grass growing on the bottom edges.  The landscape seemed to be singing its delight at RAIN.  Then I passed a patch of the native sunflower, reaching up towards the light, also lit by the natural spotlight.  Just gorgeous.

All the tiredness of not sleeping the night before seemed to leave my body as I drank in all the natural beauty.  It may be a long commute, but I swear there cannot be one more beautiful (OK, maybe the coast highway between Carmel and San Luis Obispo ... but I am hoping someday to call part of that commute mine, too).

If I knew where to look up astral happenings, I would try to figure out what was going on.  Actually, I would also need to have about three extra hours in the day, but it's the thought that counts, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment