Friday, September 16, 2011

Summer of Files, part II



Good old Jimmy was a constant companion as I finished up the packing of Dr. J's office.

I needed someone like JR who often hesitates when faced with having to rescue people, but always does the right thing in the end.  I needed bucking up.

Here's the thing, Dr. J's office needed packing because he's unable to do it himself, and even though I didn't know him personally, going through his papers was painful.  It was a lifetime of work, in well-cared for articles, diligently labeled, manuscripts, field data and work products...  I found myself a number of times on the verge of tears, hating his now ex-wife (I don't know her, how can I have any feelings for her?), wishing people were more compassionate to each other, and sneezing.

Yes, going through boxes and boxes and file cabinets (5 1/2) of dusty papers makes my allergies go crazy.

It didn't drive me to drink... I think only because in the background Jim Rockford was taking beatings and getting tricked and catching the bad guys.  I learned how good Jim is at pulling off a con, just how many friends he has that are just the right kind of people for that kind of job, and how much he loves his father.  Jim made it all ok... of course, for a bit, I switched over to Dirty Sexy Money.  That damn hulu, it is like a candy store and I couldn't resist.

In the end I emptied all the file cabinets, boxed up someone's life and work, repacked it all into the secret closet... except for all those books which I placed carefully back on the shelves in boxes so they can moved more easily.

Jim would be proud.  Dr. J will probably never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment