Saturday, October 01, 2011

word of the day?

I have this little app on the iPod (the one I call the little guy) that tells me a word of the day.

Most of the time, I ignore it... it was an "upgrade" on the app, I don't remember telling the app I wanted to get a word of the day.

But, when this word pops up on the little guy, how do you look away??

weltschmerz

Yes, you read correctly. The word of the day for October 1, 2011 is weltschmerz (even the dictionary/spell check on blogger is baffled).

Then, I saw the first few words of the definition and I was hooked:

"sentimental pessimism;"

With a beginning like that, how can you not want to know more? And, yes, there is more...

"sorry that one feels and accepts as one's necessary portion in life."

This one has got to be in balderdash this Thanksgiving...

And, it is used in a sentence (a favorite practice we have when playing Balderdash):
"Cohen confused his mood with his chronic weltschmerz." 
I don't think the use of Cohen was coincidental.

Shouldn't this have been the word of the day for next Friday?

And now, an unrelated picture, but then again, this may be the photo equivalent of a Balderdash "definition"
From the Train. 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment