Tuesday, October 11, 2011

suspect, UPDATED

I think that it is a good idea to engage parents in the education reform process.  I particularly think it is important to engage in an honest conversation with what parents want public education.

However, parents are not the only stakeholders, or even the most important stakeholders.

In fact, when it comes to public education, we are all equal stakeholders even though particular children of particular parents might be partaking of the process at any given time.

This "movement," however, is neither organic nor popular.  It is financed by foundations (including Gates) that are moving very particular agendas about public education.

And it is a shame that these reporters did not interrogate these "unions" in order to find out who is really running this show ... and whose priorities will be advocated... I am suspicious.
----
It would appear I am not the only one suspicious... here is a piece I heard on the radio this morning.  If you haven't heard CounterSpin, you need to get on it. I am usually headed to class on Tuesdays at 8:30am (when it plays on our local npr), but since I was home sick, I caught this!  


Yay for being home sick.


On my list of documentaries to check out now:
American Teacher, the trailer
The Inconvenient Truth behind Waiting for Superman
It will be screening in Pittsburg (PA) tomorrow, and if you are in NYC, you can catch it on October 14th and meet the film makers... wish I could be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment