Friday, August 05, 2011

Monsoon Season, Albuquerque Style

The summer months are monsoon season ... or at least they used to be. Folks here in New Mexico look at the sky and wonder: when is it going to rain? I think the local news was keeping a countdown when I arrived back from New Jersey. I can't remember what they were up to, but there hadn't been any rain.

Then a few weeks ago, it decided to rain, spritz really, a little bit in the evenings. Then we had some rain in the afternoon. One evening about two weeks ago, we had a long, slow rain. That's the kind you want when you are in a drought. It gives the rain a chance to be soaked up into the ground rather than just run to some other body of water: river, stream or drainage canal.

I would say, given my talks with some folks around here, that they are not used to having droughts here. The two years I have been here, I haven't seen a lot of rain, so I can't really judge if this seems to be seasonable or not. But, when I asked if folks had rain barrels, two out of three said no.

This morning, while I was making breakfast, I heard pitter patter and looked out the window to find RAIN lightly falling through half sunny skies.

I wasn't the only one who went outside to enjoy it:



photo credits: Me, fancy camera, two neighbor girls outside my front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment