Friday, April 22, 2011

What caught my eye this week...

The news week starts out with these two articles that may make us wonder how our society is changing ... the first one I found is about a funeral home in southern California that has added a drive thru option (yes, you read that correctly) and the other is about the vanishing town greeter in southern California. Both of these are worth the read... once again, I love the latimes.com.

Steve Lopez delivered again this week, with the fascinating story of the a debt to his family that he didn't know existed.

Then there was this piece ... trying to be upbeat about this partnership despite the budget challenges.

Hmm...did I really need any tangible proof about how creepy I think online dating is? I know, I know, many people have met future spouses on these sites. I have another entire treatise on that subject. When the sex offenders, or just wannabe sex offenders, can use to online dating sites (particularly ones that you have to pay to be on... let alone the *free* sites) to troll for victims... sort of makes you think that maybe we are a drive thru kind of society. Oh my!

Here's the earlier LA Times story I somehow missed.

Fascinating story about participatory budgeting in Colombia. Really, truly fascinating.

Perplexing situation regarding reducing water use while paying more...

I like this story, hope someone will share the final report. Here's the original...it's much better, with a lot more detail; though the folks at AP did a good job with the story; not all of the outlets that picked up the piece used the long version. Here's a bit about the media fallout for the school, town and paper.

One late entry about some frat-boys, it's a feel good one, don't worry. Hope the link lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment