Thursday, April 07, 2011

Chencha and Lencha

Many years ago, some burros were relocated from the Grand Canyon, and my aunt and uncle adopted two of them. Here they are *guarding* the picnic tables in "the canyon" -- what we call the area where we have always celebrated family milestones... birthdays, weddings, retirements, etc...My aunt promptly named them Chencha and Lencha.

I will admit that I did ask for clarification on this last visit, but I cannot remember now what my uncle told me.


While I was in California last week, my parents and I took a quick trip to "The Ranch" (what we affectionately call the place my aunt and uncle (and padrinos) live in the Malibu mountains). My dad decided we should go on a hike (more on that to follow -- as in, I have more pictures).
On the way back from our walk to see the water level at the pond, my dad decided that he wanted to pet the little one. I will admit that I was holding my breath and wondering how I would help if he really pissed her off, so I didn't get a shot of the actual touching of the ears... I recovered my composure as he walked away and snapped this:


She was not pleased:


She watched my dad walk away warily:


As soon as we moved far enough away that they felt comfortable to move, they were out ... so done with me and my damn camera and especially with The Judge and the touching.

My uncle told us the sweetest story about the old gals, they have been at The Ranch for a long time. He said that when he used to have cows and there was a calf that a momma cow left alone in the pasture, Chencha and Lencha would be the babycowsitters.
He said, at first he thought the burras might hurt the calf, but realized they were guarding it if the mother was being inattentive or just busy eating. We were always told to give the burras a lot of space because they really only like to hang out with each other. I love the image of the girls watching the baby cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment