Sunday, April 17, 2011

Weekly News Round Up

I am not sure how to feel about this story ...it is a no win situation for the students, so I guess I can't help but agree that they should not live in the shadows waiting patiently for the people *in charge* to get off their asses and do something. It's a gamble, and as long as they are taking it out of their own volition ... it is theirs to take.

I started compiling this set of articles on Sunday, April 10th... so I guess you could say that it has been slow news week for me. Perhaps, it is just that I don't have time to read the articles... or maybe I have buckled down and am getting work done?! I wish!

Here's a little tidbit I got in an email from one of my favorite places in the whole world. Someday, when I hit the lottery, I am going to spend a whole week at La Posada and just decompress... and eat the delicious food at the Turquoise Room!

Here are a few more that were open in the browser...
This was a fascinating article about Oakland and teachers... I still don't know how to feel about the *reporting* -- was this just an incredulous journalist who was reporting what she discovered? or is there a not so veiled agenda? Given that Tucker is an experienced education reporter, I find it hard to believe that she was just truly surprised and had to report it that way. Then, again, perhaps she has a point... when the entire country is up in arms against teachers, maybe it gets people too riled to notice that in the face of terrible odds, you aren't getting the shortest stick?!

This article with local (Ventura County) legislators discussing NCLB caught my eye ... when I got around to reading it (it was open on the computer for nearly a week), I was tickled to see Gallegly's comment. Read it carefully for the Republican spin on what trying to close the achievement gap produces. Fascinating... I am every day more interested in the use of rhetoric.

No comments:

Post a Comment