Tuesday, March 08, 2011

list mania


My life is one long to do list... and that might make you think that the last thing I want to do is make more lists.

But, I don't feel like they rule my life. Rather I feel that they order my crazy a little bit.

I can see what needs to be done ... and by when, even if I can't always achieve the goal.

Yeah, sometimes they get super overwhelming, especially when I am not able to cross as much off as I would like... or when I am unrealistic about what can get done (almost always). On the other hand, I always know what needs to get done.

As I find old lists with hardly anything crossed off, I begin to question the wisdom of lists.

I want to get back to when I was using most of my waking time productively. Though at this point, I need something more than an attitude adjustment to achieve that state. I think a regular exercise routine might be the first right step

Today, I was intending to write a list of all the things I would buy if I got one of those big fellowships I applied for last fall. This is something like a list of what you would do with the lottery, but from the perspective of a fairly frugal person.

1. Order those custom cowboy boots (not decorated: $450!) maybe a cowboy hat, black, too
2. That fancy pen that records audio while you write ($169)
3. Frames for all my prints (maybe even get them framed) ($??)
4. Fancy recording equipment so I can do proper interviews. ($200-$700)
5. A mac mini! ($700??)
6. Budget a massage or treatment every other month at the spa! ($100 * 6)

Ok, there's no way I could get all of that, but I could certainly justify #2, 4 and 5 as school expenses. And there is that other $1500 grant I can apply for... hmmm.

But how will I pay for the spa or the boots?

photo credits: taken in wine country on my farewell tour in 2009. I am gearing up for next weekend. SO READY!

No comments:

Post a Comment