Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Small world

There are so many chains that many corners of NY could be any big city. I take comfort in some of it like the trader Joe's or sb but I also appreciate that some things are still regional and others truly unique.

I know I can get my corn muffin from dunkin donuts on the east coast. I know patties and red velvet cakes in Brooklyn will be tasty. And times square and the village are incomparable regardless of the smattering of chain stores and restaurants.

I did shake my head at people going to hardrock and bubba gumps... Seriously NY is wasted on those folks.

Only in NY though some of the fashions I have seen not only on mannequins but also on real people walking down the street.

And I seriously want one of those winter hassidic hats. The ones the guys wear. I want to be clear I am not endorsing the gender politics or dynamics (though that is a blogpost I should have written... Not sure I will be sufficiently moved when I am not walking with them on the street to write it) since I want to subvert the roles and wear it myself.

I also want to display it on off-seasons as a bizarre obscure (in all its meanings) lampshade.

I have a plan but it's whimsical so it's okay.

There was a second meaning to this post but it will have to surface as a part two.

Now I am rambling and free associating. But did you know that a worker died cleaning the small world ride at euro Disney? I mean of all rides, the most innocuous becomes the fatal one?

Ironic or bizarre or both? you decide.

Running out of the free hour on booing here at the airport. Gotta go.

Yup, I wrote this while temporarily stranded at La Guardia, but I hadn't had time to clean up the iPod spellings til now.

No comments:

Post a Comment