Saturday, January 08, 2011

Parkway and...

Still trying to wrap my mind around how the Parkway's idea for movies in comfy seats with food and drink (you know, including adult beverages) becomes "fork and screen" and "cinema suites" at AMC theaters.

I love that theaters are figuring out that they need a new model, but it is hard for me reconcile their upscale model with the Parkway's local kitsch.

Don't get me wrong. It is a fantastic strategy and not overpriced. The fee is $20 but $10 of that will pay for food and drink. You get semiprivate seats that are upscale comfy. In the premium suites: recliners.

At a regular theater those seats would not be as comfy, and a soda and popcorn or crappy nachos would cost $10.

I am guessing there won't be the same kind of community participation as the Parkway.

The price point and the explicit rules about unaccompanied minors mean that no gangs of thirteen year old boys will ever be your companions in the theater.

It's super interesting. Social control and business model shift in one fell swoop.

Multitasking.

Makes me long for the Parkway though.

Did I mention that they are reopening??

I posted it on fb but perhaps forgot to mention here. Sometimes my medias get confused in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment