Tuesday, November 02, 2010

sometimes

all you have to do is give people the platform and then they spill as though they have been waiting all day for someone to ask them...

this is what happened when I spoke to the young man at a catering station with no food

he looked troubled and I guess like maybe he had something to say

I asked him a fairly innocent question and it all came tumbling out

his girlfriend's car that just needed a quick fix...just change the spark plugs
his mom's car that broke down just when he needed to be getting ready for work
showing up for work late and without the correct work shoes
and now the food was not where it was supposed to be and here he was holding back the hungry hordes

funny ... after he got all that out, he was up for a little joke
he told me that the food had been waiting around for so long it had just walked away
and with that the food was wheeled over to him and he was in business

I had really asked the question "you gonna make something here?" because I was hungry and wanted food...
but after the sharing and the joke and the smile, I was done ...

I took myself out for dinner instead, happy with the little gift Matthew bestowed, let the others eat the food, I got the story

No comments:

Post a Comment