Monday, November 22, 2010

mis viejitos

UDPATE added below...

Not the ones that live in California. I don't think I will ever actually refer to them that way. I just don't feel them as viejitos.

But the two that come in to sb every evening, now those two are viejitos. Most evenings, that is. Somewhere between 7:30p and 8:30p they shuffle in with their canes.

In the summer, they always enjoyed the late evening on the patio. Now that it is getting cooler (actually cold but I am still in denial) they sit inside.

Lately there has been one extra person with them, maybe a daughter or son or niece or nephew.

It is noticeable because neither will allow the extra one to pay or carry the large mug to the table. They always get a to stay mug. At least one drinks hot chocolate with whipped cream.

Every once in a while I sit near enough and take my earphones out and one or the other wants to know what I am reading and why.

When I am sb late and they don't show up, I get worried. Funny how you can worry about someone whose name you don't even know.
-----------
One of the reasons I posted this was because I hadn't seen them in a bit. I thought it was because I had not been at the right times, but I suspect, now, that is not true.

Tonight as I entered SB they were here and another man, not with them, but someone who knew them, I think from here, was talking to them. It sounded like the "younger" one, the one who carries the cups and is so fiercely against any kind of help, has been sick. The other man said something to the effect that my viejito #1 was probably tired of seeing the inside of a hospital and that he "had been through it" quite a bit lately.

He, el viejito #1, was quiet and looked sad the whole time I was here. I imagine that he didn't appreciate being reminded of his fragility. From what I have observed, he doesn't much enjoy not being in control of his physical abilities. It made me want to cry and not want to ever grow old.

Then the firemen came in. Since viejito #1 was so morose and not talking to viejito #2, he (v#2) decided to engage the fireman (younger) in conversation. He was asking about the "heavy rescue" truck ... what was it for? What did these firemen do?

When fireman (older) came over, I missed that part of the conversation except that he said something to v#1 about being sorry that he had not been feeling well and was glad he was out again.

We are all regulars, so in some bizarre way connected yet we don't know each others' names... what a world internet, what a world.

No comments:

Post a Comment