Wednesday, June 16, 2010

So...

I admit to loving being around all the intellectual stimulation. But I am also somewhat overwhelmed by their seeming familiarity with each other and my lack of desire to get to know any of them too much.

There are all kinds of petty critiques I can make, but the long and the short is that I don't feel like a scholar in the way they present. It is not the sense of feeling like a fraud just different.

I might get there, or I may not. Not sure. I tried to think back and remember my last year at Princeton. Did I sound like them. I might have but it was never convincing as a life long way to see the world.

At least, in part, that was the reason I did not feel ready to go to grad school then. And if I feel ready now, it is because I feel grounded in the real world now. That is I feel as though I have lived in the real world long enough to keep my feet on the ground.

I remember Mr. Perez at Haydock admonishing the basketball players to "not leave their feet." I could not understand the statement, and I am not sure I do now in terms of making fouls in bball. But in terms of graduate school, I think it means keep it real.

That is, despite the need to argue, and argue effectively, the premise of our work, we should not take ourselves so seriously that we lose sight of our humanity (read fallability).

That's all... I am a little scared of the power I feel in their words. Power that doesn't always seem directed at dealing with the real world.

Keeping it real in Ohio and beyond.



Location:S Main St,Oberlin,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment