Sunday, November 08, 2009

Secret Snacking

The other day at the farm (where I have been going to work once a week for two and half hours so that I can get my organic boxes for HALF price -- workshare option), we got to talking about trips to the supermarket with the parent who would buy you secret food.

Invariably, the secret shopper was the dad. And my fellow farm-workers told about the sugary cereal and cookies that had to be eaten in the car on the way home from the grocery store -- so mom wouldn't see.

Yeah... I loved to go to the grocery store with my dad -- because he, too, loved to buy things that my mother would have vetoed. But, our secret food was crazy shit like dried shrimp.

And we would eat that dried shrimp like it was the sweetest, most taboo treat in the world.

SUPER YUM... I suspect mostly because it was a secret and we were doing something against the rules -- not sure how I would feel about it now.

We didn't eat it in the car, though, we walked right into the kitchen, dried shrimp bag in hand, and munch away on it in front of my mom. She just did her "that's gross" look and said something in Spanish and walked away.

Funny the things that come up in the fields while you are picking yummy broccoli greens...

No comments:

Post a Comment