Friday, May 16, 2014

NRU

For some reason, when I tell people I was a Girl Scout, I get raised eyebrows.  Maybe I am not the picture of a Girl Scout, but not unlike these girls, thanks to a wonderful leader, it was an incredible experience for me.  I am so glad that these adults have taken such a proactive approach to helping these girls have a lovely and productive childhood.  I wish I had the time to devote to young folks like this, but I am not sure I am Girl Scout leader material.  Maybe some day...

I truly loved the movie Malik Bendjelloul directed and I am sorry we won't be gifted with other treasures.  My heart breaks that this young man was so depressed that he found no other way outMay he rest in peace.  May we be more mindful of those around us that we might find a way to offer hope when there seems to be none.

I had the privilege of seeing Angela Davis talk in Albuquerque a few years ago - it was a highlight of the time I spent there.  If you get the chance to see her while she is in Los Angeles, it will be well worth it.  Intellectuals of her caliber with the moral compass she possesses are rare treasures.  I am so grateful she never hid her light under a bushel despite the many attempts of others to silence her.

It is no secret that I do not believe in the death penalty, and that I feel our *justice* system is closer to vengeance than rehabilitation.  I don't see the purpose of our jails except to keep in someone who we truly cannot help to become a useful part of society -- just who fits that description best is, unfortunately, not something upon which we all can agree.  This opinion piece on the near-execution of a mentally impaired man in Texas reminds us of the very real biases that masquerade as policy.  I only wish the author had pursued the arguments for why we crimes are committed by people like the man whose execution was stayed.  It is patently unfair to deny full access to citizenship to the mentally impaired and then execute them when they turn to crime.  If you don't understand what I mean, attend one class period of special education at the high school level and judge for yourself whether or not we have helped to equip students with these kinds of disabilities with what they need to survive in the *real* world.

Here is another education piece which I feel missed the boat.  It is about the gap in skills possessed by high school graduates and desired by those in business.  Unfortunately, the fact that all students need high quality education that is not measured by tests but by skills was completely left out.  Another important fact not addressed is which students need these skills ... there is no recognition that in the world we live in now college-ready is career-ready.  The same skills students will need to tackle college will be needed in almost every job, not the least of which is being able to read and understand something more complicated than a text or fb status.  Ugh... reality check? I don't see one here at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment