Friday, March 01, 2013

NRU for the week... this is it, enjoy!

There were some stories from NPR that I wanted to post .. .actually, I wanted to hear them, but it appears that the guy/gal who is supposed to post them up to the web had a few drinks at lunch and couldn't get them straight.

Here's one that squeaked into the lineup correctly.  It is about 'secret menus' - I thought to myself that this is more about being a regular than a publicity stunt, but who knows. I told the guys at sb the other day that I wanted something not too caffeinated for my evening study session, but that I find the chai latte to be a bit sweet.  In the past, they have recommended "personalizing" the latte with more water, less pumps, a shot of espresso.  All of these work ... so I was happy to try one or more of those changes to the regular recipe.  But, this time, B. offered me a different option ... something not on the menu at all -- was it a secret menu or just the guys getting creative in the not so busy hours?

This is a compelling and poignant piece on hunger in America -- sounds like a film worth looking for -- opens today.  Jon Stewart interviewed the film makers on 2.26.13 [Here's the extended interview].  Looks like they are doing an all out publicity push on this issue and film.  It is encouraging to see folks so concerned about an issue we could really solve if we had the resolve.  While I agree that if charity could do something about this, we'd have solved it, I also think it is important that we all contribute what we can.  Here's what I do ... join in if you can.

A lovely friend shared this with me... it made it just under the wire. How truly lovely ... this story is not too unlike my brother and sister-in-law's story with no please.  I guess, when it is your time to be a family, it's your time.  Blessed be!   Share some love with this beautiful story of found family.  Some day, I am going to write a book about found families ... you can quote me about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment