Friday, March 29, 2013

3 of 5

I finally got the committee together for a meeting.

I won't even detail the action at the meeting because I am trying to stay positive.

The result is 3 of 5 boxes checked off for ABD status.

Don't get excited, it just means I am getting closer to the second half of my graduate school career.

coursework - done
language requirement - passed
technical skill (don't ask) - done

Two pieces left - neither of which is easy pickings.

qualifying exams -- we call them specials, one might argue because we are special.
[a word on specials: 10 days, 3 questions, 15-20 pages each]
dissertation proposal defense -- we are no longer pretending it is just a presentation
[15 pages, all pertinent information included, short 15-20 minutes presentation, full faculty votes]

For now ... I am scheduled to sit for my qualifying exams in June and present my dissertation proposal in September.

It sounds so simple, right? I have a list of 60+ items each for three topics -- I don't have all of those things read -- yet.  I have a draft... it's still a draft.

But I am going to keep moving forward -- keep reading... and continue to work on the draft which I intend to turn into a kickass proposal by May 1st when I turn it in for funding.

No comments:

Post a Comment