Monday, April 01, 2013

The Neighbors

I like my apartment -- it's not perfect by a long shot, but it's near the university, reasonably priced, and a good size.  Of course, I am still somewhat confused in understanding price/size ratio since I lived in Oakland.

The only real issue up to this point is neighbors.  On the one hand, since it is a month to month lease, many neighbors don't last long enough to get to know them or be annoyed by them.  They are mostly young ... read: undergraduates.  They drink too much, have too many parties -- that spill outside onto our tiny yard.  But they don't usually do that three times a week.

However, the new neighbors test the limits of their stamina.  Drinking, yelling at the top of their lungs, and playing some sort of reindeer game in the middle of the street at 3am.

I am sure I have complained here before ... but these neighbors are truly the worst.  Any hope I have for getting back on the get up at 5am schedule is pretty much shot as I can never know when they will decide at midnight or later to begin the reindeer games.

I call them reindeer games because it doesn't sound as bad as it really is.  Why do I do this? Well, they are kids ... I feel I should cut them some slack.  But the first time I heard the game almost had me calling the cops ... it sounded like someone was getting murdered... but then the giggles convinced me it was only a new kind of reindeer game.

Someone called the cops on them one early morning ... but the chastened restraint only lasted for a few days.  Then after several nights of dark of night skate boarding, the other neighbors decided to have a birthday party.  One can hardy hold it against them, but then, they get all drunk and start talking loudly ... at 2am.

I didn't think it was fair to call the cops on them since I haven't called the cops on the other knuckleheads.  I bought earplugs.

If those don't work, I am thinking I need to get the police on speed dial -- oh, yeah, I already have them on speed dial, I guess I need to use it. Or else get up and go to the library every time they start acting like fools at 2am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment