Wednesday, April 10, 2013

more mish mash

Sometimes you read a story and you just don't know what the point of it was.  Or, at the very least, your head cocks to the side at the end, and you utter, huh?  It is especially true when it seems at the beginning that it a straight forward story.  That's what I did when I read this story.  If you can figure out what the point is, please, let me know.

I really don't think there is any way to discuss this other than as hypocrisy, or perhaps just wanton dishonesty.  Seriously, everyone knew that there was no way that they were going to take this man alive.  So, does that mean that the money was offered under false pretenses? Or are you not telling us an important part of this story, such as the person who stands to collect isn't a police officer?

I was walking across campus the other day when I spotted a sign for the suicide and crisis hotline advertising their latest outreach: online support.  I was struck by the thought that it would be super difficult to reach people, emotionally, through online means.  There is no way to *hear* in the tone, inflection, etc. if you are getting through.  It seemed like such an inadequate and possibly dangerous move.  Then I read this article about moving from phone line to texting.  Yeah, I can't figure out which one is worse either.  Perhaps teens are so far removed from human interaction for this to make a difference in terms of reaching them in times of crisis.  Or, perhaps this removal from human interaction is part of the crisis?

Ok... technically not news in the same way newspaper pieces are, but I just have to share. A classmate from Princeton has gone home to support his nephew in a new venture.  I couldn't be more proud!

I met a woman some years back in Oakland who introduced me to the Garifuna culture and language... still waiting for her to write her memoir.  So, my ears perked up when I heard this story.  I think the title is a little mismatched... what I loved about the story was people doing for themselves when the rest of the world turns away.  It doesn't surprise me from the Garifuna.  They have kept up their culture and language in the face of some of the best culture busters.   Wishing and hoping for the best for them.

A real life treasure hunt, what could be better??  I am not planning on telling my dad because I don't want to spend his whole time here looking for treasure, though it would be fun.

More proof that we have a jacked up *justice* system.  I am hoping some good karma for helping people escape from the fire will be catching up with this man soon.

Well, I guess in an attempt to even out this man's luck, he is getting his chance at the NFL.  While I don't recommend it as a career move because of the health concerns, I realize that it is something that he has always wanted.  Therefore, I applaud the universe for this opportunity! And wish him health and luck!

Resilience personified.

You know I am not a huge sports fan, but I enjoyed this piece on two sisters playing on the Louisville team.  Wishing them well at the final four ... even though, maybe because, they are playing Berkeley.

I would like to know what difference, if any, grass-fed beef makes in this study.  TMAO go away.

Heartbreaking...when I read the piece about the little girl who hiked in the pitch dark to find help for her dad, it was sad enough.  But, I thought, what strength!   Then I came across this piece about her dad, turns out she got that strength from him and I hope it will live on in her despite what challenges are to come.  Holding her close in my heart, wish there were more I could do.

The making of the karaoke ice cream truck, yes, you read that right.  So many fun things going on in this piece.  

No comments:

Post a Comment