Monday, April 15, 2013

Rollercoaster Days

For several months, I have been trying to get myself back on an exercise schedule. Most days, I turn over and go back to sleep, but some MWFs, I pull myself out of the bed and head to the gym with my workout buddy.

Last Wednesday, I did just that ... when I first looked out the door to see if my buddy had arrived, I saw that it was raining.  Actually *rain* was optimistic.  When I got in the car, my friend assured me it was snow. 

I had a pretty good workout -- between the treadmill and the elliptical, I got in over 3 miles -- but I didn't feel so well when I finished my workout.  I had some chest pain that didn't last, but then I was coughing and coughing.  By the time, I got home, I realized it was an asthma attack as I wheezed and tried to catch my breath.

When I went to the health center to make sure I was doing the right thing with the inhaler, the dr. on duty didn't want to take any chances, so they hooked me up to an EKG machine.  Satisfied that my heart was okay, she suggested I try the attachment to the inhaler to make sure the medicine really gets in my lungs.  As a non-regular user, I am not very skilled at the inhaler.

My days have been going like this ... run, run, run, run out of steam and crash or keep going until I can't anymore because my to do list is still too long.

In between these seemingly low points, punctuated with little breakdowns that began the waterfall of tears, I have also had higher and high points.

Here is one ... one night about two weeks ago, I was watching the local news and they were talking about missingmoney.com (where you can search for unclaimed funds in several states).  Despite the fact I thought the server might be inundated, I checked it out.  Well, there was my name and an old address in NJ.  I filled out the form, but then it asked for my ssn and I was worried it was an elaborate plan to steal identities.

After some quickly googling, it turned out to be legit.  I submitted the form not knowing the amount or where it came from or anything.  I figured I might not even hear back from them, so what the heck.  They sent an email back to me with a link to check for updates.  A few days later, I checked back and it said they had verified I was the person I said I am and were processing a check.  About a week ago, I got a letter from the State of NJ saying they had found some unclaimed pension funds and they were sending them to me with interest accrued.  Then a check arrived for over $700... score.  It will replace the two months this year I did not get to transfer funds into my Italy savings account!

Then I did my taxes and for the first time in four years, I don't have to pay!  Score, again.  More funds for my Italy fund. Another high point amid the regular craziness of life.

Blessings come when they are least expected -- and they are greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment