Friday, November 25, 2011

movement

I tried to pick pictures that demonstrate movement.

I am struggling to see the movement... the forward motion in my life right now.
But it's complicated. Am I headed towards something? Like this mountain in the distance (Shasta, if you were wondering)... is there some point where I will arrive? Or should the looming mass just symbolize a mythical target to which one can direct attention? Is it motivating to imagine arriving there or climbing the mountain? Or does it just make me feel like it is an impossible dream?
Will I arrive at a fork in the road (or the stream) and have to choose? Will I know which direction leads me more directly to the ocean? Why can't I just climb over those dunes, I know what's on the other side?  The dangers, adventures, deviations abound...it is unclear.  Again, it is complex.
And all these paths are intricately connected -- in the choices and their histories and the futures they promise or threaten.
But, I need most of all to be in the present.  To be present.  There is nothing wrong with wanting progress, but if it means that I am not appreciating here and now for all of its own complications...

No comments:

Post a Comment