Wednesday, May 12, 2010

radio silence

I have a million things to write about, but all of my words are being reserved for the TWO papers I have due tomorrow.

However, I need to pause to acknowledge having had a fantastic day.

It was to be, and has been, a very full day of trying to get these papers written between running, office hours and meetings with professors. Each of these complicating events that were to take time from the writing were phenomenal.

One...after a week of not running, I got in a personal 3K in nearly record time (for me, mind you). Awesome, beautiful morning, great run!

Generally office hours consist of me reading something because no one shows up. Ok, that is not bad because I always have something to read and not enough time, but, frankly, it is a waste of my time and talent. I am a teacher and I never get to teach. The other use the students sometimes make of office hours are to come and ask me to give them more points on their tests. And, often, they are justified in asking for the points, but sometimes I just have to tell them that if they want more points that they need to answer the questions. I do it nicely, but, again, it feels like an awful waste of time to explain to someone that they can't have points because they didn't answer the question.

Today ... I had a full house for the entire hour and a half... and I got to teach albeit it in abbreviated form, fifteen minutes at a time. It reminded me of why I love to teach when you see that light bulb turn on over their heads!

Then, then then ... I got to meet with a prof I have been avoiding meeting all semester. Truthfully, I have been so beaten down by the grouchiness of some of my profs, that I didn't have the emotional energy to deal with another rejection. Wrong, wrong, wrong. She was awesome in every way. I left that meeting on cloud nine.

Wow...then I drafted half of my paper in TWO hours... and I still have one and a half papers to write before tomorrow at 5pm, but I am so rejuvenated by that meeting...

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment