Thursday, September 18, 2008

unplugged... plugging back in...

So, while I was away, I had little to no internet access... no tv and I didn't bother to read any newspapers.

Surprise, surprise ... the world continued to turn without me watching.

I am struggling a little with how best to catch up and whether or not it is even necessary.

The first day back, sort of, since my return lasted two whole days... I was at a hotel in DC with a business center, and therefore, internet, for at least a half an hour. In that time, I found out a little too much:
-Ike sucker punched Texas
-our economy is crumbling around us
-a commuter train headed for my hometown was in a horrible head on collision with a freight train
-the murder of a local area councilman may have been a case of mistaken identity

Tragedy abounds... and maybe there is some other stuff going on, but I had to stop watching and reading for a while.

What surprised me the most on my trip, with regards to current events, is that I saw precious little enthusiasm for the campaign... one man wearing an Obama shirt in Puerto Rico, one woman wearing an Obama pin in the airport in Denver, and one woman with an Obama bumper sticker on her wheelchair on BART.

[Nothing at Dulles?! Nothing at the hotel in Virginia. And no sign of any support for McCain despite the media's attempts to sell us on his resurgence. Come on the man couldn't fix the economy if his life depended on it.]

I am not saying that bumper stickers and pins are some magical way to bring about the change we need... but some little bit of enthusiasm for our chance to get the bums out of Washington, come on...

So, here are my virtual pins and bumper stickers for the day...


Obama scrapbook

Don't forget to vote... on that note, I am thinking seriously about packing my bag and heading to Nevada to do some campaigning...

No comments:

Post a Comment