Sunday, September 21, 2008

the impending storm...

Visiting the El Moro in Old San Juan last Saturday... this is what it looked like when we arrived.
The threatening clouds appeared within an hour. We kept ducking inside, and thought the worst would pass while at the fort where we could find cover.

In fact a little rain did fall on us when we were there. Thinking the worst was behind us, we headed out of the fort ... only to see this.

That long walkway is what we had to pass in order to get to town and potentially cover -- and we were starving, it was after 3pm and we hadn't eaten since breakfast. We made it about half way before it started pouring. And then it poured for another 15 minutes... we eventually made it to a building that offered the tiniest bit of protection.

I was just a little upset with myself because just the day before I had bought a little rain poncho to carry in my backpack because we were hiking in the rain forest -- where coincidentally no RAIN fell. [The only day we had NO RAIN.] I took it out of my backpack for our jaunt around Old San Juan as if it were that which was making my bag heavy. Oh well...

A little trolley appeared after we had been standing in the rain and all of us (about 6 or 7 at that time) who were trying to shield ourselves from the rain got on the trolley. Eventually the rain turned into drops here and there and we walked to a restaurant where everything was so good I thought about eating the actual table. Not to mention the hunky waiter who decided that we were his best friends... yum. Did I mention that everything (every one) in Puerto Rico is beautiful? Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment