Sunday, June 15, 2014

late addition to Silver Linings NRU +

I did an inordinate amount of driving around in the car yesterday, and the good part was that I caught this story about a former police officer whose life and work were changed because of an interaction he had with a mentally ill woman while on the job.   I will leave the rest for you to listen to ... I will just say that I had to stay in the car to listen to the end of it even though I had finally reached my destination.

If there is cause to say that there is silver lining to true tragedy, this is an excellent example of how it can happen.
--------------
Happy Father's Day to all those out there...but especially to the fathers in my life:  pops, my brothers, my brothers-in-law, my uncles and treasured friends.  It is a tough and thankless job to be a parent full of danger, pitfalls, frustration and fear.  But it is also a priceless treasure to be present in the life of your children.  We don't say thanks to our dads enough or always give them the effusive love we display for mothers. 

I know I don't ... my dad has always been my moral conscience and my staunchest defender.  I always wonder what my dad would do in a tense situation -- and then I try to live up to that.  Because of my dad, I know I am strong, capable and should fear nothing.  It has been very challenging to live with him again -- and having to remind him that he is getting old.  In these months, I have had to shift our relationship and prove to him that he can rely on me as much as I have relied on him.  That is challenging for both of us.




No comments:

Post a Comment