Monday, July 15, 2013

Fruitvale Station

I relished the fact that Oscar's story would be told ... and enjoyed reading about its reception at Sundance.  I have read many pieces about the director, the story, its import, etc... but this review made me feel proud. I have nothing to do with the film except that this is where I am from ... this is the place I claim ... Oakland, in all its glory.

So movie summer will continue, if only in its last gasps before I begin my exams.  Luckily, I won't have to go through the rollercoaster of emotions on this one alone.  I am headed to Oakland tomorrow for the week... and my friends and I already had a plan to see the movie on Wednesday night. 

It took me a while to get to this other story on NPR because the headline made me angry ... fortunately, the piece is really about how this movie feels *emotionally* to people in Oakland ... people of color, not the white folks who are boarding up their windows.

I will be wearing my hoodie to this movie...

No comments:

Post a Comment