Wednesday, March 14, 2012

May December April January

The last month seemed to be the month of the older gentleman, younger woman at sb.

Sometime a few weeks ago, I witnessed an odd gathering.

A white man who appears to be in his late 60s or early 70s came in with a young, immigrant woman -- potentially from Central or South America.  [How did I know she was an immigrant? I don't know, but it was confirmed later.]

He was wearing a wedding ring -- and pushed two tables together.

She had a glass of water and he bought one coffee -- tall.

I was able to see that she was wearing a combo engagement and wedding ring.

A little bit after they arrived, another couple came in and sat with them. This couple was of the age of the man -- and also white.

The young woman engaged the older woman in conversation.  The two men eventually took out papers; they looked like tax documents.

It was all very innocent -- that is, not controversial - but I had a pit in my stomach.  Whatever.

-----------
About a week later, I witnessed another couple ... this time, a man, two women and a baby came in and sat in front of me.  It was obviously his baby -- he doted like only a new father can, late in life father at that (he was easily late forties).

One of the women was about five years older than the new daddy.

The other woman seemed to be about 15 years younger than the new daddy.

I figured out that the older woman was the younger woman's mother ... I am still trying to figure out why they were meeting (didn't come together) at the sb.

It was again, not controversial, but it struck a chord in me for reasons that I cannot really explain.

It might have something to do with the fact that the "couple" were wearing matching clothing ... matching sunglasses, pants rolled up in the same way, and matching boots.  A teenage couple showing up looking like twins would not make me take a second look -- but this new family?  Weird vibe ... who is reaching for whose age?

It is not clear.
-------
Then, I saw that first couple again... this time on their own.  She was carrying a book for learning English as a second language.  He had a back pack with an ipad and a newspaper.   Again ... only one cup of coffee (to share -- tall) and a glass of water (free)...

I know that my discomfort with this couple is mostly based on the projection of my feelings ... and the prickly-ness I feel when I see certain micro actions between them -- bad memories.

But, something happened that second day between them ... I am not sure what it was, because, though I noted them come in and the coffee/water/ipad/book thing, I had my earphones in.  I just saw a change in body language later on that said "we've had a disagreement" (again) and that also signalled some weird power thing that I cannot give you evidence for ... it's just a feeling.

I don't know why I keep noticing this age difference in couples, perhaps there is something my subconscious is trying to tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment