Tuesday, March 27, 2012

For B

Sometimes, it is not the right answer to talk to strangers.

There was the time when the crazy beret wearing older gentleman wouldn't go away ... and ever after, I had to keep my head down to keep from making eye contact so he wouldn't come over ... and talk my ear off, or say inappropriate things to me.

Yeah {sigh} ... there are definitely times when just keeping your head down is good.

The other day, though, I didn't really have a choice ... because the place was full, and I need to squat somewhere while some table opened up.  It usually doesn't take long for some place to open up.  So, I approached an older Asian gentleman I have seen in here a lot, but who I had never spoken to.

I didn't think it would necessarily make us friends.  I said hello, thank you, and put my headphones in.

But, now, I am his "friend" [read: target] and I had to be super brusque with him to get him to leave me alone and let me do my work... I hate having to be "rude" in order to get the point across... and it didn't exactly work, as I actually told him twice that I had to do work.  Then I had to continue to keep my head down to not make eye contact, which is, apparently, universal signal for "I want to talk to you."  Finally, after SEVERAL hours, he decided to take his staring outside for other targets. Man, this is a full time job ... stalking women at the sb, I mean.

I am not usually bothered... but, seriously, I don't do that to anyone, so, I don't want them to do it to me, that's all ... and it is almost invariably man on woman.  One of these days, I am going to turn the table, and flirt with every man younger than me, and stare at them and act like they are target pieces of meat.

I won't actually because it is too creepy for words.

************** in unrelated news:
some other dude, who had been in here working longer than me, so for over two hours, spilled his coffee, cleaned the seat, and then left ... super rude, since he didn't go up to the staff and tell them himself.  Luckily another regular did go back and tell the staff. I was about to, when I saw them approaching with the mop.

No comments:

Post a Comment