Monday, December 12, 2011

oops...another news round up

Too much going on to not report/record it here.

RIP Harry Morgan... M*A*S*H is still one of those shows that I like to watch even though I have seen every episode several times.  There is no other like Morgan either.

I am not sure what to make of this.  I am glad that Blago got the book thrown at him, but I am still peeved at how unevenly *justice* (especially in terms of sentencing) is applied.  All a long sentence does for Blago is assure that he cleans up with a book deal later.  Now, a really punitive sentence would require him to do *good* work for a long time and disavow trading on his infamy for dollars for the rest of his life.

So, Justice Breyer's wife has to sell her stock, but Justice Thomas' wife doesn't have to stop being a lobbyist or she just has to lie about it?  I am so confused... and it's OK for representatives and senators to do insider trading?  Wait, and pundits who comment on the presidential race can also be working for or having their spouses work for candidates... unless you are Black and your spouse works for the sitting president?  Our democracy may be one of the best in the world, but that just means the world is really fucked up, as far as I can tell.

Not sure whether or not the fact that the new DA in PHL is Black has anything to do with why the change of heart.  Just sayin... despite his assertion that he believes Mumia Abu-Jamal deserves the death penalty and is guilty, it is interesting that he is willing to let it go... or as the conservative blogger at sfgate  (no I am not posting her trash) put it "give up" the fight for *justice*... ah, a recurring theme these days.

I saw Conspiracy Theory over Tday vacation ... LOVE that movie.  Mel Gibson is so good at playing crazy.  When I said that at my house, someone said, maybe he's not playing.

Thinking about *break* and what books I might read.  Definitely this one (already winging its way here from amazon.com), and maybe this one.

Oh... and the movies I would like to see.  Kenneth Turan's review of this one makes me really want to see it.  Wonder if anyone will be up for it.  Hope it isn't one of those cases where the critics love it but real people can't stand it.  Also gotta see this one; you know, eye candy and all.  This one sounds interesting as well, but I am still trying to wrap my head around Jung/Freud and Kiera Knightly

Thinking about buying the box set of the original movies before the English language version comes out ... Daedalus has the box set for $40.  Witness money trying to burn its way through my pockets as I resist writing papers...

And I am not posting stories about someone getting thrown off an airplane and tweeting about it... WHO CARES!


While I am ranting, let me just be clear: I HATE THE NEW LOOK on gmail.  I don't want any more damn new looks ... I do not want them Sam I Am. I wrote them a long feedback message the other day ... they shouldn't have asked, if they didn't want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment