Sunday, June 12, 2011

On Education...

Spending my days in the archive reading about St. Catherine's has my eye especially primed for stories about education.

Here are a few from the week...

The U. S. Supreme court rejected a challenge to AB540 in California. I didn't bother to read the nasty comments...dreamers in California are sighing a little right now, but we need to get more serious about a permanent solution to the problem. I have to admit I got an email from Dick Durbin last week about putting it back on the docket nationally. I am sad to report that he's the only one who sent me an email about it ... where is everyone else on the issue?

I love this story about the throngs of former students who came to say farewell to a beloved kindergarten teacher ... at his retirement. I especially enjoyed the description of his classes. Here's a kinder teacher who really understands what it means to excite students into learning. I would love to sit down with him and talk about the way NCLB has affected his school.

I wish there were a real story to go with this gallery of photos ... and maybe something from the person who went back to junior high. And, maybe they could have sent this guy to a more representative class or set of classes...

If only journalists could work up this kind of energy for regular public schools... they way this article disregards the lack of fiscal management that has put these schools in the position they are in is dismaying. What about all the public schools that are pinching every penny but still can't make ends meet but don't have any prestigious people to hide behind...

I share this because it is representative of the backlash that reformers fear...and of the issues that are looming in our future. We have to figure out how to talk about our budget problems more realistically and try to abstain from blaming public school for all of our ills.

Here's another really grand idea (you would note the sarcasm if you were here)... privatizing public schools... these folks are right up there with the institutionalized revolutionary party. Can someone get them a dictionary?

No comments:

Post a Comment