Tuesday, June 21, 2011

education focused newsies rejoice!

Here is some other news that has been clogging my inbox, see previous post for details on clogging.

I am seriously going to just offer this without comment: L.A. Unified: A report card. Do with it what you will. It may or may not be more interesting reading than the chocolate milk debate. Oh, darn, I was unable to pull off the "without comment" thing. Sorry.

This story could be viewed as another kind of report card on LA Unified, say from an individual and longitudinal perspective.

Another story I will attempt to post without commentary: From grunts to undergraduates, Marines deploy to Stanford. Rather I am going to let the article speak for itself. This is the intro:

Among Stanford's roughly 7,000 undergraduates, 10 are former members of the military, seven of them Marines. The veterans can 'elevate and inform classroom discussions,' says professor Condoleezza Rice.

Another entry in the to promote or not to promote debate, sort of... it is also another entry in the debate about how to include faculty in decision making, or not, as the case may be.

I am not very good at just posting articles without commentary... it should just be acknowledged.

I am all about acknowledging right now, I wonder how long that will last?!

Finally, [I hope, since I am not planning to come back to the library to post more of these links, and I don't know when I will get my computer back] another story about dual immersion school success in California. I am a little scared that posting these articles will accelerate someone figuring out that these are good schools and try to shut them down. Note the way the article is introduced, by the headline: Soria School Students Celebrate Diversity.

To honor the fact that June is my Princeton month, I am sharing this obit of a retired professor. I never knew him, but he sounds like the kind of professor I would have enjoyed. I am sorry I didn't know his story two years ago, I would have nominated him for the Purpose Prize!

Read this story carefully.
.. you will see that this is all politics and no logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment