Monday, November 24, 2008

Morning Gold


I love to wake up out of my morning haze to two pieces -- Perspectives and StoryCorps.

In preparation for National Day of Listening, we are getting a StoryCorps interview every day this week!! This weekend we got two absolute perfect diamonds -- Scott Simon (who could read the alphabet on air and be interesting and entertaining) and Liane Hansen getting super personal - these are absolutely must listens!

This morning, I finally roused myself enough to hear Steve Inskeep's mom talk about why she became an English teacher. I am sure that the story had gotten into my consciousness even as I slept. Not only did it help me wake with the idea of writing about my inspirations, it also gave me an insight into Steve his daily work has not. I liked Steve just a little bit this morning -- generally I just want Bob back whenever I hear Steve's whinny voice.

Ah... and then, already awake and typing, I heard the latest Perspective -- about coffee names! I immediately realized I needed to post this, so I went in search of the archive -- it has been difficult for me to find in the past. This time I came up with a page promising me the chance to subscribe to the podcast. This is important because sometimes I sleep through the first part of the piece and NEED to hear it again. You can't count on weaving a story into your dream, so you might actually miss some important part of the idea being presented. [I will warn you that the link offered on this page as the subscribe to podcast actually takes you to the QUEST subscription -- not at all the same thing -- but once at iTunes, you can choose to see all the podcasts from KQED and choose Perspectives.]

If you are in the mood for morning gold, then you might as well go ahead and listen to this piece, too. Junot Diaz talking about walking in the shoes of immigrants before you think about dropping dime to ICE or just hating someone you don't know. What a morning!

Talk about when it rains, it pours ... I have about three more posts I want to write today! We'll see what we get.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE StoryCorps. Also, the Writer's Almanac and This I Believe.

    ReplyDelete