Thursday, March 09, 2006

Making Things Harder than They Have to Be

I try not to blog about work... partly because it is dangerous, and partly because I am sincerely trying to make WORK just one aspect of my life, not my life. However, things are so tense these days, it's hard not to be impacted, feel the need to speak about it, and know that it will only makes things worse if I say out loud what I am thinking.

So, I blog.

One thing, if it's the only thing I will be happy, I have learned in my 37 years (and coincidentally makes me happy to be oldER than youngER), is that we often make situations harder than they need to be.

Starting the day believing that it will be a bad day, like all other situations that fall within the self-fulfilling prophecy, is one of the worst things you can do.

Also, ASSuming that all those around you are idiots, and only YOU can save the day... sets you up for major trouble. Not only will others perceive your condescension, they will be waiting for you to make the mistake all of us eventually make. The same lack of compassion you started doling out will come back to you ten-fold.

Engaging the process, whatever situation, from a negative position, e.g. "This is going to be horrible!" will make it that much more difficult to put in the extra hours, effort or push that is needed to get you over the hump.

All these things, and many others, I learned the HARD way; that is, by doing them and feeling the wrath of others. I am not perfect, and I have bad days when I forget the lessons I have learned, but BY AND LARGE, I have figured out, at least in the work realm, that it is better to be CHEERY and have a ROSY outlook despite the challenges.

Unfortunately, some of my younger colleagues have not learned these lessons, and they are making life miserable for themselves and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment