Monday, February 11, 2013

News Round Up -- Inspirational Edition

Some people just do ... they see a problem and they act.  More of us need to follow our instincts to good.

Here's another do-er -- someone who no one expected much of ... it should teach us something about the value of low expectations, or rather to always think the best of people.

When you read this story, several aspects will jump out as the silver lining ... but my favorites are the horn and that this man loved his job -- but it wasn't his life.  May he have a lovely retirement!

These families are not only making lemonade, they are sharing it with other families in need.  I am sure their children are smiling on their efforts.

I watched this piece on Corporal Todd Love on CBS news last week.  His zest for life is beyond inspirational.  I got tired just watching all the things he was doing.  It was sweet to hear him say that college intimidated him... not for long, I'm betting.  We all have a lot to learn about taking each day as it comes and gratitude from this young man.  And, yes, thanks to him for his service -- and for sharing his love of life!

I don't know if there is a harder situation to find a silver lining to than the loss of a child. I listened to this while holding my breath... I was sure they weren't going to hang listeners out to dry, but it was touch and go there for a while. I was filled with an incredible sense of pride, compassion and love for this couple -- for their surviving twin -- and for those researchers who took the time to talk with the mother.  If one was ever in doubt about the connectedness of our lives, experiences, losses and triumphs, then this is the story you need to hear.

In this piece, several universities are getting together to work on the dialogue about gun control.  This is a slightly tarnished silver lining to the horrible events at Newtown, CT.

I could not pass on this interview with the guy (unnamed) who started the gnome movement in Oakland. Long live whimsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment