Tuesday, January 29, 2013

UPDATED (AGAIN) News Round Up, true mish mash

Very cool picture...story was simple police blotter sfgate.com
If this story doesn't break your heart, then you probably don't have one.  This family doesn't need medals, they need their son back healthy and mentally whole.

This story belongs in the what were they thinking category.  Seriously?!  I am not sure if banning anything ever helps, but supporting the Big Gulp seems to be better left to the comedy of Jon Stewart.  Black and brown folks have lots of other fish to fry!  The other category I might allow it in:  Thumper's category.  That is to say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.  AHA ... this morning (after the 5am publish time) I read this fascinating op-ed about this very same issue, the author titles it When Jim Crow Drank Coke.  It reads like history, but it is analyzed behavior so perhaps that is why it is in the editorial section?

I am not sure how to feel about this story.  This is the headline:  Sundance stars sound off on gun violence in film.  What do you think?

So, in the far-ranging whimsical to ridiculous category, a story about the gnome *invasion* of Oakland, CA ... there is everything here from the truly, lovely anonymous encrypted message to the bureaucratic response to the university professor's analysis.  Truly something for everyone! Enjoy. --UPDATE... the gnomes will not be evicted after all!

I first encountered the kohlrabi while "working" farm-share at what used to be called Los Poblanos Organics (now Skarsgard Farms -- don't ask because I don't really know why they changed the name).  I helped unearth any number of these -- in purple, as pictured, and green.  I swear I felt like I was helping birth little alien babies.  And then I took one home to eat it ... and they are as advertised in this article, yummy in lots of ways.

Seems like a lot of folks are changing their tunes... the congress about immigration, the scouts about their no-gay policy, and the military about women in combat.  Must be a pretty strong wind causing so much change... or better political strategists.

No comments:

Post a Comment