Friday, December 14, 2012

Forced Christmas songs...

There is a radio station in Albuquerque that plays only Christmas music starting the day after Thanksgiving.

It's annoying.

It is this kind of behavior that makes me hate Christmas music -- and subsequently for people to compare me to the Grinch.

The Grinch and I probably do have things in common... I am not ususally sensitive to the "noise, noise, noise" but having the Christmas music foisted on me in every store, on the radio, everywhere, is just plain annoying.

Someone said something of interest to me on the subject a while back... something to the effect of just how many Christmas songs are there, anyway? Are there really enough good Christmas songs to play over a month long period?

The answer is no, not surprisingly.

So the DJs reach into the "we should never play this" pile a little more often than usual.

I was surprised, then, to find two songs that I like in the Christmas rotation:

I I don't think of this as a Christmas song ... at all. But I love me some Dan Fogelberg, so I am not complaining. This is, of course, a Christmas-y song... though on some level it is also anti-Christmas ... or at least, it is the kind of song that challenges Christmas-y people to put their money where their mouth is. [I must not be the only one who feels this way because this song will be in heavy rotation on the only Christmas music station. I have already heard it several times.]

No, I don't care for the American version. I think it is the prominence of M.J. ... I am just not a fan. And I can't seem to get past it.

Otherwise, I am a purist when it comes to Christmas music, give me an acapella or choir sung Silent Night or else don't bother.

I also like it if it is in the voice of a Charlie Brown character.

Music seems to be the theme of the month, so far. Go figure. [you get the words here ... but in the previous one you got to see the open mouths!]

No comments:

Post a Comment