Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Bringing back the silver lining

As the weather threatens to turn cold,  and the clouds cover the sun menacingly, I think it's time to bring back the silver lining.

Here are some favorite news stories that are clogging up my in folder.

Let's start with the just turned 25-year-old, UCLA alumni/fanatic, South Oxnarder who just got elected to the city council. I couldn't be more excited if I had known her before ... hope she sticks to her guns and leads with her heart and soul.  There is so much that is wrong with Oxnard, but she represents all that goes right despite that fact.  Here's hoping her idealism holds out and shows some crotchety people what idealism in action looks like.

It is no secret that I am a lover of ritual that binds family (as a friend and colleague might argue -- binds communities and serves as the elixir for belonging).  I heard this story on the radio (more than once, it was a morning I was working online) and then read the transcript in its entirety. If I could get an invite to this kitchen, I would be in heaven.  I can smell the love -- and almost taste it.

After living through long hours at the American terminal a few weekends ago, I take this news as manna from heaven (I hope the link doesn't die -- search the headline if it does:  A good meal at LAX is no longer a flight of fancy).  I am not sure when I will back there, but I will be sure to hope for a long layover so that I can try one of these restaurants.  However, the absolute best part of this story is the economic and personal development it promises for this part of Los Angeles.  I couldn't help but think of young Mychael -- his eagerness and earnestness is just waiting for this kind of opportunity. I sure hope one of these places swoops him up!

If your heart doesn't melt with this mom and daughter army story, then you are worse than the Grinch in his small heart days.  I can sympathize with this daughter's decision to go with rather than stay home and worry.

I have only read the transcript on this one, but it is on the iPod waiting to play.  If your kid has to grow up too fast, you want it to be like this. I think about him and the other children to deal with divorce, and I appreciate how very hard it is to do this kind of co-parenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment