Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sincerely...

My friend, B, who reads this blog, often refers to long, heartfelt messages as sincere.  I detect a mix of  sarcasm with realism in the way she says it. She can opine in the comments if she feels I got it wrong.

It strikes me every time I hear it ... I think about the meaning of the sincere message, and I wonder... how do others take sincerity ... is there anyway to be sincere without it being somewhat saccharine?  Does that make it somehow less sincere?  Is it just the nature of the sentiment? Or is the way that we go about it that causes the disconnect?  I say we, meaning Americans (say it with a Bush accent, clipping some of the middle syllable to get the correct definition).

It might just be that discourse class that has me over thinking things... blame it on the textbooks when all else fails.

I also have been thinking about it because there is a certain "trainer" who shall remain nameless that seems to think that you can say really shitty things to people as long as you are smiling.  "Smile when you say that..." from I Love Lucy comes to mind. [I would share a link but it seems CBS doesn't want anyone to watch a FIVE MINUTE CLIP... the short-sightedness of the executives is OVERWHELMING ... but we had a blackout to point out their issues already.]

In any case, while you ponder the meaning of Sincerity, Sincere and Smiling while Saying Shitty Things (I am super into the CAPITALS right at the moment) ... listen to this.  Do it quickly before someone decides you need to pay before you see this 5 minute clip!

1 comment:

  1. After reflection, I have to say that while perhaps my use of "sincere" is sarcastic, more than sarcasm I would say it's skepticism. I am highly, highly skeptical of sincerity as I have seen it so often wielded as the sharp, fine weapon it can be. Let's face it: I've used it that way myself. But I promise to keep thinking about the truly sincere sincerity........and what it might mean! ~b

    ReplyDelete