Sunday, October 17, 2010

Today


I put my parents on the train that will take them home. I was afraid I would start crying as I said goodbye to them. True, they drove me a little crazy for the past 17 days, but don't they always do that? It's part of their charm and why I love them so much.

To be fully truthful, the tears, had they come, would have been as much for the tremendous pressure and out-of-control I feel about the amount of work I have to do as it would have been for the missing them.

Lately, every time I part from them, I worry what will happen before I see them again. It is truly wasted emotion as I should just appreciate my time with them more while I am with them than worry about what none of us can control. But, as imperfect beings, we often waste our energy on futile efforts to control the world around us.

When I go home tonight, I will be both relieved to have a little time and space to myself, and I will miss them terribly. Not being able to hear them breathe (or snore or chat into the night) from the other room will be hard.

It is both heartening and daunting to watch them together. My dad still treats my mom like a fragile flower despite how much frustration she showers on him. My mom still thinks he is the strongest, most capable man even if she notices how 77 years have slowed him.

Love that endures is a precious thing that I hope I will get to experience some day.

I am ever thankful for the example they have given us our entire lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment