Saturday, September 18, 2010

Experiment

Several days ago I tried a little experiment on the internet.

Whereas I do think of cl missed connections as a message in a bottle, I also know (from experience) that people do read it. So I put another message into the ocean of the internet.

But this time I was not hoping that a particular person would read it.

It was more of a rant actually but in the form of a message.

I wondered what was behind someone staring you down but never talking to you.

I will admit there was a fair amount of exasperation in my missive. It was not done in the form of please contact me if this was you.

In fact, I put nothing more than my rant. No age. No location.

So my responses varied from those who wondered if it was them, to those who wanted to know where they could meet me, to those who counted themselves as guilty. And one guy you subscribes to the mars venus dichotomy and proceeded to "explain" the difference between men and women. Amusing.

Frankly I was more humbled by those who claimed guilt and wanted to know if I was particularly calling them out. They described with painful detail the occasions they had gazed at women in whom they had great interest, and yet said nothing for fear of rejection.

I have a little theory I am entertaining about the younger generation. It seems they're much more comfortable with technological communication. I could identify a few as the under 30 set, buy some were avowed "older gentlemen" so I am not sure if my hypothesis works.

In any case, the ones who expressed their desire to connect with the implied fear of rejection moved me. In each of those cases I wrote him back suggesting and encouraging them to say hello.

Some wrote back laying more plain their fears but hoping to get the courage to speak.

The rest I ignored for better or worse. But I did take their sentiments to heart, so I made the effort to say hello to my fireman who stares but doesn't speak.

He was dumbfounded. And all I got out of him was a little awkward smile. Maybe he will work up the courage for more. Maybe I will work up the courage to say more than hi. Or maybe he's married and can only look.

Location:Historic U.S. 66,Albuquerque,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment