Monday, September 27, 2010

Alone

Eating alone is challenging. Over the years, since the divorce, I learned to take myself out. At first it was just go and order take out to eat at home in front of the TV in order not to eat out alone. Then you remember you can take a book and read while you eat out ... just because you are single doesn't mean that you don't deserve to go out.

After the book mediation, you might figure out how to take your journal or write letters, yup I have done that. And this extends to all kinds of places: movie theaters, museums ...

Eventually, you grow beyond the need for a "podium" (to hide behind that is) ... I have been all kinds of places alone, art openings, random parties, political events.

I have not yet worked up the nerve to go to a club alone or someplace like Disney or the Fair alone, but perhaps you could meet more people if you weren't in a group ... or hiding behind a book.

Now that I am in graduate school, I hardly need a reason ... I always have work to do and occasionally, like now, I have the computer... yes, I am typing this from a happy hour that I am attending, yup, you guessed it, ALONE.

It's all good... needed to get some work done, also needed to eat and wanted a drink, so there it is.

Happy happy houring people, you can do it, alone or in a group.

Ok, so this picture has absolutely nothing to do with this post, except that I love the inscription, so it fits with my contrary mood.

It is the doorway to a cemetery in Santa Fe, and it says, "Dios da y Dios quita" ... just in case you aren't in the know: God gives and God takes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment